United States Army Special Forces Arrows

The Special Forces officer branch inherited its insignia – two crossed arrows - from the Indian scouts, several of whom earned Medals of Honor while serving U.S. forces in almost every major campaign. Crossed arrows were a symbol of peace to the U.S. Scouts, which were inactivated in 1939. However, the crossed arrows served the 1 st Special Service Force through World War II, and some Special Forces officers at Fort Bragg began wearing them unofficially on their collars in the Sixties. In April 1987 a separate brand of the Army was created for Special Forces officers, who then formally adopted the crossed arrows as their official branch insignia.